County Manager / Deputy County Manager
Under direction, the purpose of this position is to provide complex and specialized professional support to the County Manager’s office. An employee in this classification functions in a support capacity for senior management and is accountable for the prompt and thorough research of inquiries and projects. This position may be accountable for assigning, reviewing and coordinating research work with other departments. Performs work as directed.
Essential Job Functions
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
• Formulates, directs and coordinates research and development programs as specified by the Board of County Commissioners or the County Manager.
• Participates in various studies and task forces with representatives from other County departments, citizen groups, other government bodies, and the general public.
• Utilizes project management techniques to offer direction, monitor progress and prepare status reports for distribution in order to ensure that projects are completed on schedule and in keeping with project goals and objectives.
• Researches issues that affect Osceola County government in order to develop information that can be used in the decision making process.
• Responsible for researching and providing analysis on complex projects in a variety of operational areas.
• Participates in the design, implementation, and evaluation of programs as assigned by the Chief of Staff or County Manager.
• Prepares reports evaluating the impact, efficiency, and effectiveness of programs.
• Participates in the design, implementation and monitoring of internal management reporting systems.
• Participates in department budget review.
• Reviews countywide monthly end reports for analysis purposes.
• Performs related duties as may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of the principles and practices of project management.
Working knowledge of personal computers and software programs.
Knowledge of operations of local and federal government.
Public relations skills.
Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques and to formulate procedures.
Ability to plan, organize and direct activities.
Ability to establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with individuals.
Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Ability to access, operate and maintain various software applications.
Ability to operate basic office equipment e.g., computer terminals, printers, copy machines, telephone systems, facsimile machines.
Skills in reading, updating and maintaining various records and files; skills in complex administrative support functions, e.g., records maintenance, data analysis, reports processing, documentation proofing.
Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration or other related field plus two (2) years in a fast-paced office setting experience; or an associate’s degree and four (4) years related experience. Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Physical Demand Requirements
- 20 pounds maximum lifting.
- Frequent (up to 2/3 of the work time) lifting, carrying up to 10 lbs.
- If less lifting involved will require significant walking/standing.
- If mostly sitting is involved will require push/pull on arm or leg controls.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by spoken word or perceiving sound by ear.
- Good eye sight for production or safety of self and others.
- Physical agility is required in kneeling, bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Required to have clear vision at distances of 20 inches or less.