Acting under very general supervision from the Director; plan, develop, implement, manage, analyze, and maintain software, web servers, data distribution services, and/or other types of web-based applications. Acts as an internal technical advisor. Performs highly skilled technical programming activities including coding, testing, debugging, and maintaining County computer systems, software applications, SharePoint sites, and web pages. Develops specific recommendations for business process automation, enterprise software, hardware, security or topology. Provides management, performance, and capacity planning for business systems or network and server resources. Develops documents and maintains technical and procedural standards.
Essential Job Functions
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
• Analyzes business needs; designs requirements and specifications; performs system and program enhancements; develops and conducts system and program testing.
• Receives, prioritizes, and responds to staff, end user, and department requests for troubleshooting, maintenance, and resolution of County systems’ problems and failures; e.g., hardware, applications, web pages; ensures quality control.
• Manages, assigns, reviews, assists, and coordinates projects.
• Assists in long-range strategic planning functions by providing information, analysis, and recommendations.
• Provides technical assistance to management. Conducts necessary research and analysis of collected data.
• Provides technical support to peers internally in Information Technology as well as to customers supported by Information Technology.
• Predicts, controls, implements, and approves changes in workload, procedures, and schedules through analysis of internal operation and appraisal of external needs identified through an active continual liaison with other departments and sections.
• Assists users by providing troubleshooting and technical support through on-call customer service activities.
• Troubleshoots, analyses usages, and develops enhancements for existing technology solutions in line with the evolving needs of the organization.
• Maintains confidentiality of computer reports and data, e.g., personnel data, subscriber data, and financial data.
• Communicates with software/technology vendors; provides information concerning operational and/or mechanical problems, new products, or other issues as appropriate; acts in a consultative role regarding new policies.
• Researches current trends and developments in the industry relevant to systems under charge; identifies where new solutions or enhancements to current systems may improve operational or function efficiency of assigned systems.
• Maintains an awareness of new products, technologies, trends, and advances in the profession.
• Project Management and Business Process Analysis experience a plus.
• Performs duties as assigned/necessary which are related, or logical in assignment to the position.
• Coordinates internal application development specifying project objectives, needs, and requirements, while assuring adherence to core development standards.
• Supervises, trains, and evaluates IT staff and functions according to generally accepted standards, established County procedures, departmental guidelines, and regulatory requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must possess in-depth advanced industry knowledge of hardware/software and be able to develop and apply that knowledge.
Ability to communicate professionally orally and in writing; must have strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Ability to effectively supervise a staff comprised of entry and journey level professionals in the development, implementation, and/or maintenance of enterprise systems.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, division and department heads, public/private sector contacts, and County administration.
Thorough knowledge of the body of available and current information resources applicable to the department’s functions for technical research and development purposes.
Skill in reading and interpreting technical and trade journals, industry-specific periodicals, and product/manufacturer specifications.
Thorough knowledge of the methods, tools, and techniques applied to software/applications analysis, evaluation, and design for existing or new support systems in complex multi-platform networked environments.
Ability to analyze, implement, maintain, and repair new technological software and programs; ability to evaluate, diagnose and develop solutions to potential and real operation and system deficiencies to ensure continued and non-disrupted service to system users.
Ability to utilize personal computers, standard office equipment and standard software applications, e.g. word processors, database software, spreadsheet applications.
Ability to organize work, establish priorities, meet established deadlines, and follow up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Technology, Computer Science or a closely related field; supplemented by the following, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience:
• One (1) or more years of experience working with Microsoft SharePoint:
o Design and develop SharePoint applications, features, and web parts.
o Build intranet portals and collaboration solutions.
o Participate in SharePoint architecture, development, deployment, and administration issues.
o Proficiency using SharePoint Designer to make changes, create workflows, and customize web parts.
• Two (2) or more years of experience using C#.
• Three (3) or more years of progressively knowledgeable and skilled experience in ASP.Net development and the following web technologies:
o Proven ability to design, architect, develop, and maintain a medium to large scale web application in ASP.Net / C#.
o Proven experience designing, developing, and maintaining a website using a modern web-based technologies and demonstrating sound user interface design principles.
o Must be familiar with object-oriented programming and MVC frameworks.
o Experience developing custom SharePoint web parts or components using ASP.Net preferred.
o Experience working in Visual Studio.
o Windows Server 2008 and Internet Information System (IIS) 6.0 or higher.
o Strong working knowledge of SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
o Development of stored procedures, functions, and triggers with T-SQL (SQL Server).
o Ability to implementing data access layer using ADO.Net, LinQ, and Entity Framework using SQL Server.
o Ability to architect a fully normalized SQL Server relational database for use in a software application.
o Experience working in additional programming languages such as ColdFusion, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, or Java is preferred.
o Some experience using VB.Net preferred.
Experience in these areas can be gained concurrently. Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Physical Demand Requirements
Physical Demand: Light
- 20 pounds maximum lifting.
- Frequent (up to 2/3 of the work time) lifting, carrying up to 10 lbs.
- If less lifting involved will require significant walking/standing may be required.
- If mostly sitting is involved will require push/pull on arm or leg controls.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by spoken word or perceiving sound by ear.
- Good eye sight for production or safety of self and others.
- Physical agility is required in kneeling, bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Required to have clear vision at distances of 20 inches or less.